9/4/11

Artist Profile - Matthew Miracle

Matthew Miracle, or Matt Howard if you prefer his Christian name, is a buddy of mine/DJ/producer from Murderopolis, Minnesota.  He's been helping me out with my own music and his shit's getting pretty nice, so i wanted to highlight his talents.  i axed him a few questions via facebook, he answered them, and i posted them (adding in fake dialogue to make it sound less post physical).

shitilike: the classic cliched opening question, when did you first get into electronic music?

Matthew: I got into electronic music when I was probably 12 years old, when Napster first was taking off. I really liked the Chemical Brothers. Their track "Star Guitar" had a huge influence on me, and still does. Then later discovered Daft Punk's Discovery album.. nuff said.


shitilike: yeah man, Star Guitar was pretty dope.  how long have you been working on your music?

Matthew: I've been DJing since I was 16.. so 7 years roughly. I've been producing for 4 years now.


shitilike: i'm super jelly of your experience.  i reckon you've compiled some hardware over the years.  what are you using to make your shit?

Matthew: I use some pretty ghetto equipment. A really shitty numark mixer..numark TT1625 turntables (suck), an MPC2000, and just recently started producing tracks with Ableton (LOVE)! I use my friends Serato as much as I can.. hope to upgrade as soon as I can afford it!


shitilike: Ableton is key.  i've been creeping on your soundcloud for a bit now.  really digging your tracks, especially the new one, The Good Message (see below), how'd you put that shiz together?

Matthew: I used Grandmaster Flash's "The Message" which is a classic 80's hip-hop track. I had recently picked up the Freescha album "What Comes Inside You" and some of the tracks had a nice hip-hop feel to them. My favorite one: "Come Good" had the same bpm as "The Message", so I just found an acapella and put it together in ableton (restructuring them a little bit). 


shitilike: i like it.  is there anything you've been working on, anything i can expect to hear soon?


Matthew: What's next is a Wiz Khalifa mashup which is almost done! It's going to be fucking awesome... hipster creampie! I'm also working on a Rich Boy "Throw Some D's" mashup. Finally for mashups I've got Pink Floyd in mind, going to be SUPER crunk. Got a few hip-hop projects in the works too, a band I'm starting with a friend, and my own personal endeavors.


shitilike: excited.  especially for Throw Some D's.  i fucking love that trash.  you've got a lot of projects in the works, you get any chances to do some live shit?

Matthew: I perform at a local lounge called The Tea Garden! It's a super legit spot, love the people that work there and come in there. Super supportive and have helped me grow as a DJ. I also rock house parties, which I love because you can go way crazier getting fucked up with your friends in the basement!


My goals for Minneapolis is to begin DJing at the Triple Double which is a dance night every Tuesday at the Triple Rock Social Club.. it's a really great venue with insanely good drink specials! I also want to begin spinning at Too Much Love at Minneapolis's First Avenue venue (where Prince got started)! After that, touring is my dream. Someday New York, LA, Europe, Japan... festivals too!


shitilike: getting fucked up with your friends in the basement whilst spinning is fucking righteous. good luck to you Matt! and keep making and sharing your bomb ass music.   


check out Matthew Miracle's newest track:



The Good Message by Matthew Miracle

along with his soundcloud page:
Latest tracks by Matthew Miracle




No comments:

Post a Comment